Thursday, December 16, 2010

SANTA, NOT OUR FRIEND.


Atticus didn't get his picture taken with Santa,
Santa got his picture taken with Atticus.


Despite all the hype about Santa being our friend, and being the guy that will bring us gifts at Christmas, Atticus was having none of this fat guy in a red suit. He was however willing to accept a candy cane from this strange man.

I had told Atticus that Santa was going to bring him presents, and that we were going to see him, and that he needed to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas. When I asked what he wanted he said very simply "Cake". I think he associates cake with gifts because of all the birthday parties we have been to this past year.

When the time came to sit with Santa, Atticus responded with a very clear " I don't want to". Finally I was able to get him to sit next to Santa on a step. The photographer was able to snap one shot, and he was outta there. I told Atticus "Santa is our friend". His response "No, Santa not our friend! He Santa."

I am not sure why I feel compelled to put my child through the process of sitting on the lap of a stranger in order to get a photo. Maybe next year, he will welcome St. Nick with open arms, or maybe I elect to just write a letter to Santa and call it good, but somehow I doubt it.

2 comments:

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

You gotta do the Santa picture, at least until he's in the uglies (11-14 braces, acne, maybe crazy hair...) then dump the Santa pics.

Love that Santa got his picture taken with Atti : )

Ellie said...

Look at that body language! "One more inch, old man, and I am screaming bloody murder!"