Monday, May 12, 2008

My Other Children


This may be the first baby for Demain and I, but we can't forget about the other 3 kids. Otis, Marley, and Taj. They are very much like children to us. Until recently Otis slept in bed with us, and they basically run our house. They lead a very charmed life.

Otis is the first, and he knows it. He thinks he is the King. He is also what we like to call an attention whore. He will climb into the lap of anyone he meets, and if you start petting him, don't plan on stopping. He was rescued from a pound in Kellog, Idaho when he was about 10 months old. It was like he came trained already. He may just be the smartest dog I know.

Otis needed a playmate so we went in search of dog #2. We found Marley at the pound in Bellevue. Unlike Otis, he did not come trained. It's been a long road for Marley. He had been returned to the pound from previous owners twice before, and just wasn't ready to trust us. It took some time for him to warm up to us and especially to others. We also had some trouble keeping Mr. Adventure in the yard. Demian had to build what we named the King Kong fence at our Mountlake Terrace house to keep him in. Now Marley is a very loving, friendly guy, with no desire to escape. Some people can't even believe he's the same dog. All he needed was love!


And then there is Taj. I wasn't really in the market for a 3rd dog, but Demian really wanted a BIG goofy dog. Well, that's what we got. Marybeth found him on Petfinder, and he was living in a really gross pound in Everett. I made the mistake of showing his picture to Demian, and before we could discuss it further, he was ours. Once Demian looked at the goofy face couldn't say no. He really is the funniest dog ever. And at 130+ lbs, he fits the big dog requirement. He makes us laugh everyday, sometimes just by looking at him.


All the dogs are going to make such good playmates for little Atticus. They have all been around kids a lot. I do predict there will be some stolen food, if Atticus isn't careful! They will also be super protective of their new little human. Otis is already keeping watch over his room. I look forward to him having fun with his furry brothers.

1 comment:

jess said...

Doo-what! Doo-what!! You better not teach Atticus to say that! Marley still looks at me sideways when I say that:) I am sure they will love the new addition to the family!