Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Can parents be afraid of the dark?

It struck me as I was crawling out of bed and making my way to the bathroom for the 100th time the other night, that I am glad I am not afraid of the dark. Some people are. I realized that as a mom I will have to be the one to rid the room of a creepy spider, or check in the closet when a strange noise is heard. Luckily, I am not too much of a baby when it comes to scary things. I do however have one major phobia that I need to get under control.
BEES! I hate them. You don't have to tell me how important they are to the ecosystem and how with out bees we would have no food. I know all this. I still hate them, and no amount of logic will change that. It all stems from getting a bee sting very close to my eye when I was about 5 or 6 and having an allergic reaction. I am still allergic to them, and maintain a deep seeded fear of the little devils. I've gotten better as time has gone by, and I no longer bury my face when one comes near me. I do however leave the area IMMEDIATELY. I also break out in a cold sweat if one gets too close. And I don't buy into the idea that if you just hold still, it will fly away and leave you alone. I'll take my chances running wildly and flailing my arms about, thanks.
It's strange to think that now I will be a mom with such irrational behavior. Moms are supposed to be cool and collected right? My son will see me act like a spaz when it comes to these dang bees. Oh, and if I get stung that's another story all together. I will panic and cry like a child. Just ask the girls who were with me the last time I was stung.
So, my goal is to try to overcome my fear, and remain calm in when it comes to bees. I don't want to traumatize him by making him afraid as well, or by witnessing his mother act like a lunatic.

2 comments:

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Hey from the Bahama's! Where is this baby? I finally convinced Matt I had to get access to the internet to find out if he was here yet... I can get text messages so text me if you can after he's born!

S and J said...

Am waiting for the new info on baby A and how the baby's mama is doing. I love saying that...oh and what does the baby's daddy think of this new life? Congradulations!