

The wait is over. Baby Atticus arrived on the scene May 14th at 9:22 PM. He weighed in at 8lbs 1 oz. Today he is a week old and what an amazing week it has been. It's like he has always been here. If you read my blogs you know that I blogged that day, still waiting for baby to arrive. This is what happened shortly after that.

I was on the computer and noticed that everything looked like it was wet. I was having some spotty vision. It was really weird. Demian suggested I just close my eyes for a while, and he would look online to see if he could find out what might be wrong. As I was relaxing, he kept coming across High Blood Pressure as a cause for spotty vision. So, it was off to the pharmacy to check my BP out. I had just been to the Dr. two days prior, and my blood pressure was a little higher, so at Demian's suggestion we called the doctor. At this point it's around 6:00 or 6:30 so we speak with the on call Dr. She suggests I go to Swedish to have my BP taken there and have them monitor us for a while "totally routine, just to be sure". We take our time going down there, not thinking it's a big deal. As an afterthought we bring the hospital bags, joking that it's kinda sill y because we know we are coming right back home.
At Swedish we go to the Triage area where they evaluate all the preggers before letting them stay. The nurse tells me my BP is just fine, but they want to keep me on the monitor for a while. The monitor is this contraption they strap to my huge belly, and it monitors baby's heart rate. They also have one attached to my finger that keeps track of my heart rate. I start to feel like an experiment in a sci-fi movie. Then, this really nice nurse asks me if I felt that contraction I just had. I hadn't felt anything, which is not uncommon to have false contractions even weeks prior to labor. Well, I may not have felt it, but Atticus sure did because his heat rate took a dive. Time to call the Dr. back. I am sure she was just sitting down for dinner, or about to watch a movie or something more fun, when she got the page. I've been there myself. This little contraction issue happens again while I'm all hooked up and the Dr. has to break the news to me. She said " I think you should have this baby tonight". Now this is the moment I have been waiting for, complaining that I just want to have this baby already, tired of the anticipation. Well, my reaction was not that of joy. I burst into tears, I'm not going to lie. I was freaked. Surgery. I asked her "by tonight you mean, right now?" She did. So it was decided since Atticus was not a big fan of contractions, we just wouldn't have any.
They take Demain away and outfit him with a stylish full body suit and cap. I even had to laugh when I saw him. I was surprised they had them in his size. Too bad the same couldn't be said for the beds there. I walked with Demian into the OR room, it was time to have a baby. They gave me the spinal, which is the strangest feeling. I am sure I said " this is so weird" like a million times. The put a big sheet in front of me so I couldn't see, and Demian got to pull up a chair right next to me. About 30 minutes later, they pulled a baby out of my tummy. He looked perfect. The first things I noticed was that he had hair ( I had always pictured him bald) and he had Demian's feet. Exactly Demian's feet. Demian got to be with him while they cleaned him up, and while they finished putting me back together.
After 3 night in the hospital we were finally able to go home. I am pretty sore still and on some pain meds, but am getting better everyday. I can't imagine doing this with out Demian. He had been, housekeeper, cook, nurse, and Dad all in one. I am pretty limited to what I can do around the house at this point. They say I can't lift anything more that Atticus for 2 weeks. And, bending is out of picture. So, mostly I just stare at this kid. He is a carbon copy of his dad. I am sure that every parent thinks their kid is the cutest baby ever, and I am no exception. But, you have to admit, he's pretty dang cute.

3 comments:
McKenzie and I can vouch for him - he is pretty darn cute! So glad he's here and that everyone is doing good. Welcome to the Mommy Club : )
Congrats Gina, Demian, and Atticus!! He is super cute, I love him already:)
SOOOO cute! Let me take some pic's of him this week!!! What do you say?
Post a Comment