Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day



So, I thought that I may have a little baby in my arms by Mother's Day, but no such luck. I can tell you that I have a new appreciation for moms everywhere after having experienced pregnancy. I was thinking last night about how long this processes has been, and how I have been truly blessed with such a healthy pregnancy. Here is a little re-cap of my last 9 months.

The Pink Line: So I had been feeling a little "weird". I can't really describe it other than weird, and though what the heck I'll take one of these tests. Sure enough I got the little pink line. Demian was vacuuming the hall and I called him into our room. My voice was a little strange when I said " get in here", "I think I am pregnant". Demian: "why do you think that" Me: "I just took a test and it came back positive" as I held up the evidence. Demian: "well you better that another one just to be sure". So, I grabbed the biggest glass of water I could find and drank the entire thing while in the bathroom so I would be ready to take another test. And wouldn't you know it test #2 looked the same. I even took a picture of the test with my camera phone for future use.

Keeping the secret: Everyone knows you shouldn't tell anyone you are pregnant for the first 12 weeks. Working at a funeral home, I know all to well exactly why, but it's easier said than done. One of the best stories about me trying to keep this a secret was a weekend getaway with my girlfriends to Entiat. It was myself, Marybeth, Christy and Alexa. I figured, I could fake drinking and tell them to hot tub is broken and no one would be the wiser. What I didn't think about was cheese. Doctors say not to eat raw cheese while pregnant, and Christy works at a gourmet cheese shop and brought her weight in cheese for us that weekend. I casually asked her, "Is this cheese pasteurized?, I don't want to eat unpasteurized cheese." To this she screamed " YOUR PREGNANT!!!!" That Christy is just to smart. My secret was out, but it was so nice to share my joy with such good friends.

Blat, Blat: That is the sound I made everyone morning for at least 2 months. It started one day and I called Demian from work to tell him "your kid made me sick this morning". Well he made me sick every day after that for quite a while. I almost became used to it. I felt really bad for my co-worker Doug who had to listen to that every morning at work, since his office was right next to the bathroom. And poor Demian, most of what he tried to cook me for dinner was not what I wanted. In fact the seafood chowder almost killed me. I had to spend the entire night locked in my room away from the smell. We found a winner in homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese. And lots and lots of Ginger Ale. As quickly as the Blat Blats came on they were gone. I finally felt human again.

Boy or Girl: Those who know me, and I am assuming if you are reading this you know me, know I am not much for girlie things. I don't care much about hair, make-up, fashion. I would much rather watch a Cougar football game than go to the mall. So, for me I always knew I would prefer a boy. I just feel like it would be a lot easier. Plus, I have been a 12 year old girl, and as I recall it kinda sucked. As I continued to root for this baby to be a boy, Demian was pulling for a girl. In fact most people were sure it was going to be a girl. My friend Luke may have been the only one convinced we were going to have a son. So, at 20 weeks we are off to the doctor to take a peek at this kid of ours. We got to see arms, legs face, spine, and...little boy parts. Demian did confess as we left the doctor that he really did want a boy, he just felt someone had to be rooting for a girl just in case!

The Glory Days: As the time passed I continued to think "this is not so bad, I really don't mind being pregnant". Feeling him kick around in there might be one of the coolest things ever. Before I was pregnant the idea would have completely grossed me out. Like there is an alien in my tummy. If you've seen the ultra sound pics you may think there really is an alien in there. Now I feel more like it's confirmation that there really is a baby in there, and it's reassuring that he is doing well and healthy enough to give me a swift kick in the ribs. It was also special to have Demian feel him move. He tends to get wild at night, so Demian will feel him move around as I am laying in bed. I have a feeling he may be nocturnal like his dad.

No More Size 2: I had a nick name at Bleitz and it was "Size 2 Bitch" Well I can tell you that size 2 waved bye-bye to me a long time ago. In the beginning I would ask Demian " Do I look any bigger?" I don't really need to ask that any more. I remember at like 4 months I thought I had such a big tummy. HA . I could get away with wearing my own clothes back then. Now I am wearing maternity clothes size large, and Demian's basketball shorts. It's high fashion let me tell ya.

What I've missed the most: Shortly after I became pregnant Demian put a bar and a sauna in our basement. I think it was some kind of cruel joke. For the most part I have not missed the beer. However watching the Cougs with out a beer seemed like a crime. And I can't recall a Christmas when I didn't have at least a few drinks. This year it was Hot Buttered Waters, and lots of Sparkling Cider. If you pour the cider into in wine glass you can almost convince yourself it's wine. And back to the cheese, I can't wait to dig into some stinky, raw cheese and wash it down with some home brew a friend is making for me. Gina's Postpartum Brew. Tasty. Maybe I'll even enjoy these things in our sauna!

All in all this has been a great pregnancy. I don't really have anything to compare it to, other than stories from other women, and what I've read in books. I have been mostly symptom free, and the symptoms I've had haven't been too bad. For about the last month I have developed a nice set of cankles, but I can live with that. I know that then end result will be worth it all. I know this has been the longest blog in history, but I am unemployed and trying to pass the time.

2 comments:

jess said...

Great blog Gina! I think it would actually be a perfect story for a scrapbook page! There are still 6+ hours left on Mother's Day, Atticus might get things rolling today still, who knows?

Kim Hayes said...

Great story! It's nice to hear non-tramatic stories of pregancy... it makes me less nervous. Plus- I already have cankles. Got that one in the bag. :)