Thursday, August 19, 2010

READ THESE BOOKS



To anyone who is reading this, who has not already read "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" go get a copy right now. Borrow it from a friend, make a trip to Barnes and Noble, visit the library, whatever it takes. You need to read this book. Well, to be honest it's a trilogy, but once you read the first one, I won't need to convince you to read the other two. You will hooked. I know I was.


My in laws found this novel while traveling in Australia. It had yet to become the international sensation that it is today. They read all three in the series, " The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Played With Fire", and "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest". It is called the Millennium Trilogy. David has even read them twice. I had been hearing a little bit of buzz surrounding this author Steig Larsson and these books, so I decided to give it a try. I became somewhat obsessed. When I really, really, like a book, I become a little manic about reading it. I will read it while eating breakfast, I will lug it all around with me in case I get a few spare moments, I will stay up past my bedtime reading. It happened with a book I read in college " I Know This Much Is True". I hauled that mammoth book to campus, up hill, both ways, in the snow, just so I could read between classes. I did the same with these Steig Larsson books. I would read at a stop light if I thought I could get away with it. What breaks my heart is that there was supposed to be 10 books in this series but the author Steig Larsson died suddenly and this story died with him.


I am not going to tell you what these books are about. You need to find that out yourself, plus it is a fairly intricate plot, and it would be too hard for me to summarize. I will tell you however that the main character Lizbeth Salander is a total bad ass. The Swedes made the books into movies and this is the actress who played her. I saw the movie and she nailed the role.





Hollywood, not to be outdone by the Swedes are in the process of making their version of the story. They recently cast these two as the made characters.




Daniel Craig seems like a perfect fit to me, and I am not sure who this gal is but she better bring her A-Game if she wants to be a convincing Salander. Not only do I love these books, but I love discussing them. Demian and I rarely read the same books, so I was loving the fact that he read these after me, and we could talk about the characters, and the story as it developed. I am sure this is how some people felt about "Harry Potter". Okay, so maybe they won't be making a theme park for Millennium books but they are that good. So go and read them, then call me and we can talk at length about the story and these intriguing characters. But, if they become addicting, and you find yourself neglecting your laundry so you can curl up and read just one more chapter, don't say I didn't warn you.





3 comments:

Kim said...

I know this much is true - BEST BOOK EVER. I became so obsessed that I skipped class and read it overnight.

Alicia said...

I should let you know that I just started reading the first book and have the next two waiting for me. I, too, get obsessed so we should probably have biweekly book clubs to discuss over wine.

PS. Although I just started I'm already happy with Daniel Craig and mostly happy that they didn't cast Kristen Stewart because she sucks at life...

S and J said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I generally know if you like a book... I'll also like it. Been hearing about these books but was a little leery...