
Demian and I recently celebrated our 4th anniversary, and got a way for a weekend. Ellie has a friend who was kind enough to let us spend the weekend at his cabin, located just a few minutes from the entrance to Mt. Rainier. It was an amazing weekend. It was so nice to just unplug for a while. Despite my love for Blackberry, it's nice to just step away from technology for a while. Except the ipod of course. Gotta have tunes.
We got up there Friday afternoon and after getting settled into the cabin, we headed to the town of Ashford for a little lunch and to grab a few last minute items at the little general store. Carol had provided us with a wonderful care package with all the fixins' for a yummy dinner, so we were pretty set for the weekend. Saturday morning, after a filling breakfast, we headed up the mountain. If you have not been to Mt. Rainier, GO! It's is amazingly beautiful. You really feel how small and insignificant you are in compared to mother nature. Once up there, we check out the visitors center, picked a trail, and strapped on the snow shoes. As mentioned before, I LOVE snow, and we got none in our neighborhood this year, so it was a real treat for me to get some time to play in the snow. It seemed that ever turn we took, was another terrific view. I probably said " This is so beautiful" 1000 times.
After about 2 hours of snow shoeing we made our way back down, but stopped off for a little trail hike first. I really wanted to check out green forest while I had the chance. Had it not been getting late, I would have loved to spend more time hiking around. But, it was time for a roaring fire and a glass (or two) of wine back at the cabin.
I hear that the hikes are just as beautiful in the summer, when the snow is gone and the ground becomes covered in wildflowers. Sign me up.
As great as it was to get away, we missed our little man, and often found our selfs saying " I wonder what Atticus is doing right now." I don't think missing us was on his list of things to do. Grandma kept him busy and happy all weekend, and when he finally saw us, all he could ask for was Uncle Wesley and his cousin X. I see how we rate.



1 comment:
I'm so glad you guys got to go up to Ranier. You're right, going to the mountains really makes one realize that humans are an insignificant part of the world. We should get together this summer and hike up to the actual base of the mountain. It's amazing (climbing the whole thing is even better) and unbelievably beautiful.
Post a Comment