Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Oakland-Take One

Our recent trip to Oakland was so full of fun, and I took so many pictures that it deserves two posts. Our dear friends Marybeth (BZ) and Lucas (Uke) moved back to their home state of California almost two years ago. Finally we found the time to make a trip down there to see them. The timing was perfect. We wanted to go when the weather was nice, and boy was it. When we left Seattle, it was pouring like crazy here. When we landed we were in the land of sunshine and palm trees.

When they asked us what we wanted to do while there, we said "Eat, Drink, and See Oakland". Our first stop was In-N-Out. I've heard nothing but good things about this burger joint, and it didn't disappoint. The burgers are so good, they have security guards standing by. That's how you know you are not in Seattle anymore.
We drove around the city for a little bit, just to check it out. Oakland isn't as scary as I though it would be. I won't be strolling around after dark, alone, but there were some really nice areas.

The next day, we got up and headed out to a local cemetery. Leave it to two funeral directors to pick a cemetery to hang out in. It sounds weird, but I can't imagine a better view in all of Oakland.





I could have spent hours here, looking at the view, and all the old monuments, but we had to hit the road. It was off to the water front. Luke took us to Jack London Square to one of the coolest bars I've ever been to. Talk about history, this was the original bar that Jack London hung out at as a kid. Almost everything was original. The chairs, tables, and bar itself is all original. The walls are covered with lots of antiques and bits of history. It was an awesome place. Check out the link, it's worth it.
Jack London's original seat at the bar.


This is a must see if you go to Oakland.
To wrap up our first full day in Oakland, we left Oakland. We headed out to Marybeth's parents' farm. I've always wanted to see it in person. Lulu (BZ's mom) always post cute pictures of her goats and flowers and stuff. Plus, it's hotter out there, and I was all about being warm on this trip. 
Just a little to big to sneak onto the plane.

This is Tucker. He bites. I didn't take my chances.


What little goat, you want to move to Brier?

We had a great evening out at the farm. It was great to see the Kelly's and just sit back, relax and smell the farm smell. Next time we go earlier and hit to pool.

Well, stay tuned for more, Adventures from Oakland.

No comments: