Sunday, May 2, 2010

Busy Little Saturday

Last Saturday was one of those rare days where I actually had a lot going on. We started our day by heading down to Yelm, so I could attend a Spring Tea at Grandma Jean's Senior Citizens Center. Grandma Jean was instrumental in the planning and organizing of this event and it was lovely. Various member of the center put their tea sets on loan for us to enjoy. There were homemade goodies, a raffle and lots of tea. It was great to get dressed up and spend the afternoon with the ladies.




The Ladies Landerholm


Me, Maraya, Ellie, Hilary,


Aunt Martha, Grandma Jean, Aunt June



Then it was time to hurry back home and get my game face on. Jess and I were headed to our first ever Sounders game, courtesy of the Hayes' who are currently in Hawaii. Sounders fans lived up to their reputations as being a little on the crazy side, which is one of the reasons I've been dying to go. I watched a lot of high school soccer in my day, and although I haven't closely followed any professional teams I still enjoy a live game. Not wanting to feel out of place amongst the die hards, I borrowed our friend Tyler's jersey. Wow, these folk really are all out fans. The main cheering section was full of fans who literally jumped up and down in unison the entire game. They also did a lot of chanting, most of which we couldn't understand. One we were able to decipher was directed at the other teams keeper, it was very clearly "You suck, asshole". It made me smile every time. Although the game didn't end in a win, it was easy to get wrapped up in the excitement. I can want to go back.

Here is a little sample of what was being chanted.

We came to drink, we came to sing whoa whoaWe came to drink, we came to sing whoa whoaWe came to drink, we came to sing ECS from one thirteen!Whoa, ooohhh, oohh
Burn destroy wreck and kill whoa, whoaBurn destroy wreck and kill whoa, whoaBurn destroy wreck and kill, Seattle Sounders surely will!Whoa, ooohhh, oohh
Emerald City we are here, whoa whoaEmerald City we are here, whoa whoaEmerald City we are here, supporting Sounders drinking beer!Whoa, ooohhh, oohh
Can you hear the [Opposing Supporters] sing, Noooo, NooooCan you hear the [Opposing Supporters] sing, Noooo, NooooCan you hear the [Opposing Supporters] sing, we can’t hear a bloody thing!Whoa, ooohhh, oohh

2 comments:

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Sounds like a fun Saturday! Matt and I went to a Sounders game a few years ago but the fans weren't that wild. I guess we need to get to another game!

jess said...

Definitely up for a game anytime! We'll have to plan for another one next season! Or this season if you're feelin' frisky :)